How One Baby Boomer Woman Paved Her Road to American Independence


There are so many things that we take for granted. I just remembered how thirteen years ago I decided to go back to school for a new career in interior design. On my winter break, I went to Belgium. When I was standing in line for the museum ticket, I saw the "Students' Tickets" sign. I switched the line because that is who I was: a student. As the clerk at the desk returned my crispy new student's ID she opened her big arms in surprise and disbelief and looked at me as if I had two heads. She laughed, "Don't you see the sign? This is for students!" And she sent me away to the disapproving glances of the crowd.
The truth is there are not many places on this planet where you could change careers after forty or go back to school. In fact, the cut off age in many counties is as young as thirty two years old.
My mother lost her sleep when I hopped on the plane to go to America with ninety dollars and a baby on the way. I told her that I was paving my own road to independence and took off. She thought that I did not know what I was doing, not even the tiniest idea.
Twenty four years later, I have to say that she was right. I did not have any idea what I was doing, just wanted my baby to grow up in a free world, away from the Soviets. And I was not alone. Many of us, young crazies of the eighties ran away to become sensational mothers, wives, successful paycheck makers and business owners.
Just like many boomers in this country, I am a firm believer that I could still do so much. Through life, I constantly challenge my abilities to determine what I can achieve.
When I felt that my paycheck did not feed my soul, I waited, and then quit my day job. I never looked back no matter how hard it was. I guess it was only because I knew that I would always have the opportunity to change my life around. At the age of forty, I went back to college and at forty three got my second degree in interior design. Today, I enjoy my interior design practice. I like to share what I learned from my business and from life. I believe that my latest passion for age related home modifications is valid with eighty five million baby boomers. As a baby boomer woman, I believe in a sensational, fulfilled life at any age. Would that be possible anywhere else in the World? What do you think? What is your personal road to independence?